Lebreton Flats is rapidly becoming one of Ottawa's most sought after neighbourhoods. Bordering on the west side of Centertown, with 'Nanny Goat Hill' as the southern border to Centertown West, Lebreton flats is highlighted by waterfront exposure as its northern limit.
Lebreton Flats was a community built to serve the nearby lumber mills on Chaudiere and Victoria islands. The area had extensive railyards in the early 1900s, with several seedy hotels and taverns. By 1960, the government began expropriation to develop future government buildings, not realizing major decontamination of pollution from its former industrial and timber industry usage would be needed. It wasn't until 2005 when the new Canadian War Museum was opened.
Lebreton Flats' proximity to the Ottawa River provides excellent access to pathways and parkways.
The Lebreton Station hub serves the western Transitway.
Between Albert Street and Nanny Goat Hill are older homes dating back to just after the 1900 fire, which escaped the expropriation of the 1960s, alongside 19970s-era row housing. Housing along Lorne Avenue right below Nanny Goat Hill, dates before the 1960s and is a designated as a Heritage District by the City of Ottawa.
The area is expected to have a range of 4-storey residential buildings with courtyards, and live-work town homes suitable for Lebreton Flats' proximity to downtown.
No information has been provided.
Nearby Booth Street will be the neighbourhood's main shopping street.
The Ottawa Bluesfest music festival takes place at Lebreton Flats annually, in July. The community adjoins the Ottawa River Parkways and the adjacent recreational pathways. Several museums (notably the National War Museum) are in or close to the neighbourhood.