Winnipeg Winnipeg's Airport, YWG
Winnipeg is a major centre for air travel in western Canada. First opened in 1928 as Canada's first international airport. James Armstrong Richardson Winnipeg International Aiport (YWG) now serves about 3 million passengers per year, on 156,000 flights annually.
Winnipeg International Airport handles major airlines including Air Canada, Canadian Airlines, and Northwest. Winnipeg has several daily flights bound for major Canadian cities, including Vancouver, Fredericton, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal. There are also regular flights to smaller centres in Northern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario. Travelers can also make good connections to American cities, via Air Canada with two daily Chicago flights or Northwest with five daily Minneapolis flights.
In late 2011, Winnipeg opened its new terminal building, offering travellers a modern and relaxed airport travel experience.
You can eat at the airport's several restaurants. The airport's street pricing policy ensures that you pay the same for your meal at the airport as you would at The Forks or on Corydon Avenue.
- Fuel Bar : Chic, sophisticated, refined. Fuel Bar is a jetsetter’s haven. With its modern and sleek design, Fuel Bar is the perfect spot for travelers to refresh and refuel. Before a much…
- Gondola Pizza : Gondola Pizza has grown from a humble beginning in Winnipeg to being Manitoba’s 1st choice in Pizza, Pasta, Ribs, Chicken Wings, Salads and much more. Through all of the years of…
- Harvey's : *Now Serving Breakfast!* Harvey's, home of Canada's best tasting burger has approximately 255 restaurants nationwide and serves more than 35 million grilled burgers to its guests…
- Red Wok : Red Wok awakens the senses with flavors that blend Asian cultures including Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese. Designed by an international team of chefs, led by a Vietnamese native and…
- Salisbury House : From our founding in 1931 by a American actor to our celebrated twenty-first century ‘homecoming’ to full Winnipeg ownership, the Salisbury House story has it all: dreams,…
- Starbucks Coffee : Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting the highest quality arabica coffee in the world. Today, with stores around the globe, the company is…
- Stella's Café & Bakery : In December of 1999 Stella’s Café & Bakery opened its doors in the heart of Osborne Village. Through the incredible support of loyal Winnipeggers, Stella’s has been…
- T.G.I.Friday's : T.G.I. Friday’s is the original casual dining restaurant in America and continues to be the industry’s innovative trendsetter 44 years later. The iconic brand offers a…
- Tim Hortons : Tim Hortons is the fourth largest publicly-traded quick service restaurant chain in North America based on market capitalization, and the largest in Canada. Tim Hortons appeals to a broad…
- Upper Crust : Developed in the UK in 1986 by SSP, the leading food and beverage operator in travel locations worldwide, Upper Crust is recognized around the world for serving authentic French baguettes…
Travelers, coming or going, can stop by one of the airports many stores: Aer Rianta Duty Free, Bentley, CNBC News, Liquor Mart Express, Metalsmiths Sterling, PGA TOUR Shop, Red River News, Red River News Express, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Starbucks Coffee, Stella's Café & Bakery, The Exchange News and Gifts, and Toad Hall Toys.
- Free WI FI is available to all passengers and public. No password is required.
- Currency Exchange is available at ICE International Currency Exchange, located in the entrance hall, just outside the arrivals area
- Baggage Carts are available free of charge throughout the terminal and in parking lots.
- Travelers with Young Children will enjoy stopping by our three children's play areas in the Departures area.
- No Smoking Please. Winnipeg International Airport is a smoke-free facility. Please use designated smoking areas outside the terminal building.
- Cash Machines are available on the arivals and departures floors, in the entrance area to the airport.
- TTY telephone service units, for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, are located in both the public and secure areas of the Terminal on all floors. See TTY on map.
- The Observation Lounge is located on the third floor, and overlooks the airfield to the west of the terminal building.
- Airport Chaplain is on the Departures Level 2
- Western Canada Aviation Museum (204) 786-5503
Services for International Travellers
- U.S. Customs and Immigration. Departures for the US are pre-cleared by US Customs before departure. Keep in mind you can be prevented from boarding your flight if you are not pre-cleared by Customs which operates under US laws. If you have any criminal record, you might as well stay home. After check-in, travelers must present their baggage, identification documents and any duty free or other purchases. Beyond U.S. Customs, a news stand and food services are available. Due to U.S. Customs regulations, banking, foreign exchange, postal and full shopping services are NOT available. There is no smoking in this area.
US Customs (204) 783-2206
U.S. Immigration (204) 783-2340
- Canadians travelling internationally may register valuable items may contact the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency on the arrivals level
Canadian Food Inspection Agency (204) 983-6715
Canada Immigration 1-888-242-2100
- Departing international passengers can receive a refund of the 5% Goods & Services Tax (GST) on many of their purchases. You may have your receipts validated at the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Rebate kiosk is located on the main floor, adjacent to entrance Door #4 or at Canada Customes. Forms for claiming GST refunds by non-Canadian residents are found at various locations throughout the terminal.
The CHEAPEST way to get into town from the airport (all you backpackers and students), catch the Winnipeg Transit bus which runs every 20 minutes. Catch the Sargent No 15 bus and pay the $2.00 exact fare.
Winnipeg Airport now has Premium and Economy Lots, where you can use your same credit card to enter and exit, or you can pay in the Air Terminal Building. Premium parking rates: $2 for first 1/2 hour, $25 daily maximum,and $100 weekly maximum. Economy parking (further from terminal) rates: $2 per 1/2 hour, $17 daily maximum, $75 weekly maximum. The airport also offers Valet parking for: $25 drop-foff fee plus the daily or weekly parking fee ($25 day maximum, $100 weekly maximum) Pull up to the Terminal and a valet attendant will park your car. Leave them your travel schedule and your car will be waiting in front of the Terminal upon your return. Valet Phone (204) 774-5897 or toll-free 1-888-286-1083
Taxis and Limousines
These are located outside entrance Door #1 and entrance Door #6. Signage, providing estimated fares to various parts of Winnipeg, is posted at the curbside on either side of these doors.
- Beaver Bus Lines Ltd. (204) 989-7007 toll-free in Canada 1-800-432-5072
- Brandon Air Shuttle (204) 729-3332 toll-free in North America: 1-888-884-5533
- Grey Goose Bus(204) 784-4500 toll-free in Manitoba: 1-800-392-1340
- Winnipeg Transit (204) 986-5700
- Brandon Air Shuttle (204) 729-3332 or 1-888-884-5533